Friday, October 2, 2015

Dog Gone It

Dog Gone It



I love cats.  Cats have been a part of my life since I was young, first Taffy, then Max and Nick, and now Licorice and Pearl.  I can’t imagine a life without my feline friends.  My daughter, on the other hand, loves dogs.  She connects with dogs at a level I do not.  Seeing the magic between her and any dog, I felt it was time to consider a dog for our family.

After watching friends and families with their pups, I began to visualize our life with a dog.  For months, I observed dog walkers on our path and in our small town.  Checking the Humane Society and shelters on-line to see if I connected with any canine companion became a favorite past-time.  We would walk the dog on our nature trail, snuggle with the dog in the evening and travel together to various locals around the State.  The cats would cuddle with the dog and they would be fast friends.  

My dear friend informed me of a little dog available about an hour away from our home at a “no kill” shelter.  At first I was going to visit the dog by myself, but as schedules would have it, the girls were available to join me.  The excited pooch was as eager to see us as we were to meet him.  He barked and jumped with enthusiasm.  My youngest child was so thrilled.  She ran and played with the cutie.  Although my oldest daughter was hesitant, we agreed to adopt him.

The next day, after purchasing all the necessary goods, we brought the three year old home.  The afternoon was busy, but good as we adjusted to life with a dog.  My reluctant daughter was away with friends for the day.  
As evening came, so did the fear.  The little sweetie could not settle down.  With my husband home, the anxiety amplified.  The dog began to bark, growl, and attack my husband every time he moved, walked, stood up or sat down.  My dog loving daughter became afraid.  

Apologies to any dog lover’s who thinks we “gave up” too soon, but we decided that this little one was not the best fit for our family.  With tears and a heavy heart we returned the dog to the shelter, feeling as if we failed the dog and ourselves.       


After more soul searching, my conclusion was as much as I wanted to “make” my daughter happy by providing her what she desired, I neglected to honor my own-self.  Dogs are great. Please don’t think I do not like dogs, but they are not for me.  I like dogs, I don’t love dogs.  I love cats.  Cats are independent, quiet and self-contained.  I love these attributes.  My point in writing this, is that we first need to understand and honor our own needs. You cannot “make” someone happy.  Nor can another person, animal or thing “make” you happy.  Happiness is internal, not external.  If you are not sure what brings you joy, find a quiet space, and “look within,”  the answers are always there.

No comments:

Post a Comment